Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 17th, 2016, 11:55 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Greetings All

I've got a new YS1500 headed my way soon and was wondering about the smoke stack. On my Frontiersman I leave the smoke stack damper completely open. Is this the same procedure for a pellet cooker or is it an actual temperature controlling device? My YS640 does not have a damper on it, it it pretty much fire and forget.

Thanks for the Help!!

Brent
Snoring Hogs BBQ

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
August 17th, 2016, 12:39 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?p=4035#p4035

The YS1500 chimney damper functions just as any of the Yoder Smokers wood pits does, but, never close the YS1500 damper more than 50%, as you risk snuffing out the fire and potential hopper burn back.

Yoder_Herb
August 17th, 2016, 1:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Herb! Good Info!

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
August 19th, 2016, 12:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Okay, received the YS1500 yesterday. It looks great!!! We all gathered around to do the initial break in and stood back in awe as it worked it's magic. I'm amazed that it comes to temp so fast.

Anyway, here is my question Herb, I loaded it down inside with oven thermometers and two hours later we have decided that the set point differs by 50º. We got it dialed in to have a grate temp of 250º with the controller set to 300º. Does this sound about right? We let her burn for about 4 hours total. I goofed with the smoke stack some as well but did not see a drastic change to the temps to warrant continued changes. I never did open the plate on the bottom.

The thing that amazed us was that reading the oven therm's from the left to the right we got readings, 258º-255º-250º-248º-245º. The top grate was essentially the same. Absolutely amazing!

I'm throwing a couple of pork butts and a few briskets on tomorrow in preparation for the next comp. The oven thermometers will remain so we can continue to check as well as the digital probes we will put in. I'll update later in the weekend with the details.

Thanks!!

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
August 19th, 2016, 1:49 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Please keep us informed.

Yoder_Herb
August 20th, 2016, 3:58 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Evening, I finished the butts and briskets and they turned out as expected. GREAT! The cooker is still running perfectly. It has about a 10º swing from left to right with the left being hotter as expected. The controller is still off by an extreme amount. I wound up running it at 325º to maintain between 230º-250º at the main grate. I had the exhaust closed about 30-40 percent. The plate above the burn pot was closed completely.

I'm gonna tear her down tomorrow and clean it out. When I do, I'll examine everything for a problem. This seems to be quite a difference.

Let me know if you'd like me to try anything.

Thanks

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
August 20th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Take pictures of the ash in the burn grate and the ash plume in the bottom of the cooker before cleaning and send them to customerservice@yodersmokers.com, along with the serial number and build date, the brand and flavor of pellets and your name, shipping address and phone number.

Yoder_Herb
August 21st, 2016, 12:13 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Argh, I've already cleaned her out. I will be doing another long cook tonight though. I'll use the 1500 instead of the 640. Then send the pictures tomorrow.

Thanks

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
August 22nd, 2016, 7:44 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Got the email turned into Customer Support Herb. It may come as two emails, the first took too long due to the pics, so I put a link in the second email to the pics instead of attaching them. Thanks for the help.

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
August 22nd, 2016, 9:33 am
Site AdminSite Admin

We have received it. Thanks, in advance, for your patience.

Yoder_Herb
August 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Not a problem, Yoder folks have been great to me. By the way, I forgot to mention, I did check the function of the fans and they were both working fine.

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
October 10th, 2016, 6:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I've had some temp swing from left to right on mine as well. I've re sealed the firebox where I thought it should be better sealed and I'm going to try switching to some different brand of pellets. I got an initial 'do these things' from Yoder and will be reporting back those findings.

Regardless of how I think the smoker should perform, both times I've used it the food has been out of this world. I never really liked looking at gauges anyway. I got thin blue smoking coming out of the stack like I've never seen on any other pellet smoker and I'm pleased.

Sorta along the home brew motto. Relax, don't worry, have some BBQ.

Return to Pellet