Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 17th, 2016, 10:04 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hello,

I've been using my YS640 for almost a year now and I am ready to try a pork butt. I have never cooked one before so I am learning as much as I can from other posts but wanted to stick to Yoder forums since other websites bring in other cookers which can complicate a novice cooker. So far people LOVE my ribs, thank you Yoder Forums and Chef Tom!

I a planning on using Oakridge Pork rub and my frog mats. I have been telling my staff now for a few months I am going to cook one so I need to make good on the promise. So I'll start with some questions.

1. I read Yoder Herb talking about FTC (foil, towel, cooler) would this work to finish the cook and then place in cooler take it to work and is should be good to eat by lunch time?
2. Since this will be an overnight cook, which pellet flavor cooks using the least amount of pellets so I can get the most amount of sleep, LOL? I need to check on it the least during the night. I'm using exclusively BBQ delight and have just about all the varieties they sell.
3. As a first time cook, which temp, rack, meat and damper position is the safest?
4. I read about injecting the pork butt is this necessary if it's all about eating? Can I season with rub and let it sit in fridge wrapped (in what) all day before the overnight cook? I have an injector... :?
5. Including myself and staff there are 6 of us, what size pork butt do you recommend? Based on this weight what is the total cook time? There's another office in the building so if word get's out...
6. Are there any "secrets" that will make this extraordinary and far and above off the street pulled pork?

This is going to be the first of many pork butts so I'll let you guys know when I plan to cook, weather permitting!!!

---Chris

July 18th, 2016, 7:47 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

7 PM unwrap the 8-10 lb bone in butt. Put the rub on, cover with wrap and let sit on the counter.

Figure 1/2 lb cooked per person, butts lose almost 1/2 of their weight during the cook.

Use any pellets you like, fill to the brim. I use a mix Lumberjack or Q brand. Maple, oak, cherry, apple.

Start smoker at 7:30, 235f.

8 PM put butt on smoker in the middle of the bottom grate.

Watch temps etc for a half hour or so then go do stuff or sleep.

Midnight check temps, fill pellets. Put butt in foil pan to collect the golden butter.

4 AM check butt temps. Add pellets.

Pull off smoker when it 200 or so and it probes like soft butter.

Put foil over pan.

Put in cooler with lots of towels etc, even an old pillow, you want all the air space filled for max insulation, you want to let it rest for about 2 hours minumum, it will be fine for 4 hours if you insulated good.

Take out and shred and eat. Bone should pull out easy.

Butts should cook in 10 to 14 hours, so adjust.

July 18th, 2016, 8:06 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just my humble opinion. Lots of great cooks/advice on this forum.

1. I read Yoder Herb talking about FTC (foil, towel, cooler) would this work to finish the cook and then place in cooler take it to work and is should be good to eat by lunch time?

-Definitely. I've kept a butt in a cooler wrapped as described for 5-6hrs and it was still almost too hot to pull with my hands (gloved of course)

2. Since this will be an overnight cook, which pellet flavor cooks using the least amount of pellets so I can get the most amount of sleep, LOL? I need to check on it the least during the night. I'm using exclusively BBQ delight and have just about all the varieties they sell.

-I can easily get Lumberjack brand around me. I usually go 5hrs on a full hopper before even looking at it to decide if it needs more. Never even close to running out. Even less consumption during the heat of summer.

3. As a first time cook, which temp, rack, meat and damper position is the safest?

-For a butt, I set it on the middle bottom rack. 225. Damper in about 6in from the right.

4. I read about injecting the pork butt is this necessary if it's all about eating? Can I season with rub and let it sit in fridge wrapped (in what) all day before the overnight cook? I have an injector... :?

-I like to rub mine the night before. Experimented with injecting the last one with Cherry Dr. Pepper prior to rub. turned out very moist.

5. Including myself and staff there are 6 of us, what size pork butt do you recommend? Based on this weight what is the total cook time? There's another office in the building so if word get's out...

-I've always gone with the "since I'm doing it, I might as well fill 'er up". Never an issue with freezing the leftovers. Or take some little foil pans to send some home with your co-workers ;)

6. Are there any "secrets" that will make this extraordinary and far and above off the street pulled pork?

-I've had good luck with not lifting the lid for the first 4hrs. Then inserting a probe for temp. Wrapping in foil (keeps it moist, but does lose some bark) with a little more CDrP at 165. Pulling it off whenever it starts to jiggle like jello (between 195-205)

This is going to be the first of many pork butts so I'll let you guys know when I plan to cook, weather permitting!!!

---Chris

July 18th, 2016, 8:10 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

curly wrote:Just my humble opinion. Lots of great cooks/advice on this forum.

-Definitely. I've kept a butt in a cooler wrapped as described for 5-6hrs and it was still almost too hot to pull with my hands (gloved of course)

Agree!

They sell many And I think mixes too. That's the easiest way to go. I use Two mixes, one for beef and one for pork/chicken. I still have pure mixes like just apple to add more flavor profile using the AMZN tube smoker filled with pure pellets. Nice to have as a addition. I don't use it much, no need too. Unless I'm doing cold smoke jerky in my old MES, temps at a low 100f.

-I can easily get Lumberjack brand around me. I usually go 5hrs on a full hopper before even looking at it to decide if it needs more. Never even close to running out. Even less consumption during the heat of summer.

[b]LB is a good mix brand, I used it before my place went to Q, I read it's the same company.

[/b]

-For a butt, I set it on the middle bottom rack. 225. Damper in about 6in from the right.

-I like to rub mine the night before. Experimented with injecting the last one with Cherry Dr. Pepper prior to rub. turned out very moist.

Pork butts have a lot of moisture. Butt having that golden butter from the pan to mix back in when you shred it is awesome. No need to inject IMHO.

-I've always gone with the "since I'm doing it, I might as well fill 'er up". Never an issue with freezing the leftovers. Or take some little foil pans to send some home with your co-workers ;)

It's your first butt. Calm down. If the folks like it you are a winner.

-I've had good luck with not lifting the lid for the first 4hrs. Then inserting a probe for temp. Wrapping in foil (keeps it moist, but does lose some bark) with a little more CDrP at 165. Pulling it off whenever it starts to jiggle like jello (between 195-205)

No reason to check it right away. You lose heat. Keep it closed.

---Chris

July 18th, 2016, 9:47 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

All REALLY good information here. Here is my humble opinion:

I recently did two 6 lbs pork butts on my cooker for a party (about .3lbs -.5 lbs per person) and here is what I did.
I inject with Cherry Dr Pepper and rub with a good rub -- Oakridge as the original poster mentioned is great!
I used 100% hickory BBQ Delight
Cooker set at 235* for the entire cook.
Damper in about 5-6" from the right.
Heat diffuser in and wrapped in foil.
I rubbed and prepped the meat about 7pm and put the meat on the cooker at 8pm.
I checked the temp at 1030pm before bed and the IT was 100-106*
I woke up at 2am and checked IT. Found IT was 160ish* and approaching stall.
I pulled the meat, put it in a foil tray with some apple juice in the bottom and covered in foil.
Put back on the cooker at 230am.
Checked temp at 430am and found IT was 205-208*
Pulled the meat and stuck in my warm (170*) oven still covered in foil.
Sat in oven for 2 hours.
Removed at 630am and let cool to 145* IT
Pulled the meat and it was amazing!!!!

Pork butts are easy! You'll do great. The OP mentioned that his ribs are great... IMO ribs are more difficult then a butt. I think the OP will be fine!

Let us know how it goes!!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
July 19th, 2016, 7:01 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Thanks for all the advice! Since I've never cooked one on any cooker I had no idea it is a simple meat to prepare. I'll take pictures of the whole process.

July 22nd, 2016, 11:49 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Just placed order for Monday pick up for the pork butt for a Wednesday night cook!

July 30th, 2016, 8:50 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Just a quick update as I plan to post pictures of the whole process I am waiting for the weather to cooperate on a Wednesday night. Thunderstorms forecast again.

August 7th, 2016, 10:11 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

dawktah2 wrote:Just a quick update as I plan to post pictures of the whole process I am waiting for the weather to cooperate on a Wednesday night. Thunderstorms forecast again.

Back from vacation and was hoping to see the results. How did it turn out?

August 7th, 2016, 3:33 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Its thawing in fridge now, last two wednesday nights thunderstorms were forecast, will be cooking this wednesday hook or crook...

August 10th, 2016, 9:20 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I'm cooking!

SInce is supposed to rain I decided to put the insulation jacket back on since the rain would lower the temp and I'd use more pellets and the insulation should save on pellets too if it does nothing for the rain.

The pork butt weighed in at 9.6 lbs!

It was still frozen early this morning so used my brine bucket to thaw

Loaded up the hopper and put it on around 9pm, I think I am going to run out of time!

On the YS 640 after an hour

August 10th, 2016, 10:15 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Nice! Looking good, let us know how it turns out!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
August 11th, 2016, 7:34 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Whew!

I cut this close! I started cooking at 9:38p once instant read showed it wasn't still frozen, it reached 165 around 4:24am. pulled it wrapped in foil and it reached 195 when I had to walk out the door to go to work! at 7:30a I normally leave at 7:10a. For the next one I have to make sure I can cook without freezing it. The thawing process didn't go as planned. I put it in the refrigerator on Sunday afternoon. We keep our fridge at 35.

August 11th, 2016, 7:58 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yea, it's a big chunk of frozen meat. I like to put it in the sink for 4-5 hours before stating the long term thaw in the sink.

Glad you got it done! You can bump the temp to 275 or so to save a hour or two.

August 11th, 2016, 8:21 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Conumdrum wrote:Yea, it's a big chunk of frozen meat. I like to put it in the sink for 4-5 hours before stating the long term thaw in the sink.

Glad you got it done! You can bump the temp to 275 or so to save a hour or two.

Next time I'll take your advice and bump temp after I wrap, THANKS!

We bought one of those French door refrigerators and the freezer is kinda useless so we have a small deep freezer in the pantry. It's set almost as low as it can go, which made this worse. Live and you learn.

August 11th, 2016, 9:52 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Just start it at 275, no reason to wait. Some do butts at 300+ and are happy with the final product.

August 11th, 2016, 8:39 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

So my staff and family loved the pulled pork. I tried to bring the leftovers home from work but they wouldn't let me. I had to just bring some in a tupperware container, LOL. They want me to cook another one later this year. So I'll try to inject that one.

August 21st, 2016, 10:55 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello dawktah2,

I have been smoking pork for years and after a few less than ideal cooks I have found the best technique at the link below. I first followed the recipe outlined below and had outrageous success...I then tried to modify the technique by injecting and wrapping in foil to beat the stall and all it did was complicate the process and produced a subpar meat. i.e.; soggy bark. I never cook butts over 225 degrees, as it yields the best results. Additionally I like the process of being up late to start it etc. Butts are forgiving for sure so if you are in a rush you can cook at higher temps but it just isn't the same

As I type this we have 18 lbs on the YS 640 since midnight and we are getting ready to throw the ribs on in a lil while.
my advice is try this recipe and enjoy. If you want to modify it play with seasonings but follow the technique...you won't be sorry

Enjoy!

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknogr ... _pork.html

August 22nd, 2016, 7:59 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Thanks! I'll give it a try for the next one. Weather was a factor so next time hopefully I can avoid freezing it. I spent all day thawing instead of letting my dry rub do its magic.

Return to Pellet