Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 17th, 2016, 11:13 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I received my YS640 about a week ago. Love the build quality by the way. So anyway today I'm cooking a butt at 235. I have noticed over the last several hrs that the left gauge consistently reads 30-40 degrees cooler than the right. Heat diffuser installed, VDD pushed in about 5-6 inched from wide open position. Didn't know if this is completely normal and i'm being way to anal or if there's some adjustments I should make.

Thanks in Advance!

July 17th, 2016, 2:35 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

It seems that mine was like that the first few cooks. It gets better. There will always be a hot side way to the right. When I do 7 pork butts I have to rotate them twice throughout the 12-14 hour cook. Does your door have a major leak at the right corner/side of the cooker? That could cause that. Ohh swap the thermos, see if they have a difference.

July 30th, 2016, 7:50 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the input Conundrum. No major leaks at all and between your input and Herbs I'm feeling the way to anal is to blame.

July 30th, 2016, 8:18 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

my 640 is the same. I also have dual hood ornaments...err i mean, dual thermometers. they won't read the same, the one closest to the exhaust stack will run hotter. perfectly normal in my opinion.

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

"Pissing off muslims one rack at a time"
August 9th, 2016, 3:52 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I experience the same thing with the twin gauges on the YS640. With the VDD set to the factory-advised distance in from the far right side, there can be up to a 30°F-40°F difference, depending on how hot the cooker is set, with the hotter side being on the exhaust (right hand) side.
If the adjustable plate is moved to within 3-5 inches of being moved all the way in (to the left hand side), both gauges will read within 0-10 degrees of each other. I don't know what it is doing at the lower grate level but at thermometer height it is spot on.
I have chosen not to worry about having two different readings and usually just leave the VDD close to the factory recommended distance. If cooking something such as a brisket, the thicker point end is placed over on the "hot" side, and that's that. (Grandpa never even had a thermometer, let alone two, and still managed to turn out the greatest BBQ ever, on his homemade cooker. Sometimes I think we suffer from having too much available information.)
Everything comes out fine in the end, but sometimes I might rotate items during a cook, if for no other reason than to give the appearance that I'm actually doing something.

Return to Pellet