Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 11th, 2016, 8:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

This is probably been discussed before, but...
foil the the diffuser or not? Only difference is easy of cleaning that I see. Anyone's thoughts.

yoder 640
July 11th, 2016, 11:38 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I don't foil anything in the cooker.

Yoder_Herb
August 2nd, 2016, 6:35 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok herb, if you don't foil your diffuser how do you get the drippings from injections with phosphates cleaned off. It's gets hard as concrete. I took a putty knife and brush and had a hell of a time getting one of the injections cleaned off.
john

yoder 640
August 2nd, 2016, 8:30 am
Site AdminSite Admin

With use and cleaning, the diffuser will get like a cast iron pan. If you have a hard to clean area on the diffuser, set the cooker to 350 and let it run for an hour to help loosen the material.

There isn't anything keeping you from using foil, if you choose to do so. Just keep it tight to the plate and do not let it go over the sides of the plate. 18" foil fits perfectly from edge to edge.

BTW - I never use any products that have chemicals in them, like phosphates. Just my personal choice.

Yoder_Herb
August 2nd, 2016, 4:00 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

There is no right or wrong. Personally I have always foiled. It only take a minute or so to do and keeps the diffuser looking somewhat newer than without. I figure it takes at least the same amount of time to scrape as it does to foil. Many worry about temperature fluctuations but after two or more years I have never had a problem even when I was wrapping the ends further than what some will say is the allowable distance.

To me it's a no brainer but I do realize that we all look at things through our own eyes. On a side note, when I read threads about those that add extra thermostats to their pits and are constantly trying to get a good read on the pits internal temp variations between thermostats I am a little bewildered. I guess I can be pretty simple minded but to me once you know your pit the temp is only a reference point to your cook. Wheather you are cooking at 200 or 500 as long as you have a good feel for your protein and the pit the end result should be where you want it to be. Once again just my skewed way of thinking!

Please no haters. I have no problem with those that think different than me...just my simple take!

August 2nd, 2016, 7:23 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Guys thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

yoder 640

Return to Pellet