Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 22nd, 2016, 3:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Does anyone else have any issue with the angled piece inside the door, I assume designed to deflect grease, etc away from the door opening and back into the cooker, hitting their GrillGrates? I just received and installed new GrillGrates and the angled steel in the door rests on top of them. They are exactly 19.5" and slid all the way to the back. As far as I can tell, it is just barely hitting but it leaves at least a 1/8" gap in the bottom of the door. This is on a 2016 built YS640.

I am considering just grinding a 45 degree angle off of the front edge of the grates to make it clear but really wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!
Nick

YS640
June 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

This happens if you install the grill grates on top of the normal round bar grates. You need to remove the regular grates, and replace them with the grill grates.

Yoder_Herb
June 22nd, 2016, 3:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

They are installed in place of the round grates. They sit flat on the on the grate mounts.

YS640
June 22nd, 2016, 3:35 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The door should close OK. Feel free to remove a little metal from the grates.

Yoder_Herb
March 25th, 2017, 7:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I had this problem as well. Slide the grill grates to the back. There is abot a 1/8-1/4 wiggle room. Enough for the door to hit if you have it touching the front wall.

April 5th, 2017, 8:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I had the same issue, even with my grillgrates properly installed (not sitting on top of standard grates) and pushed all the way to the rear. I called grillgrates to make certain there was no issue with sawing the grill grates(miter saw). They said that was not a problem and the bare metal on the cut end requires no special attention. I had to cut approximately .25 inches off mine and the door now shuts completely and the grillgrates work great.

April 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That's odd. Before I ordered my grillgrates, I called grillgrates and asked if there was a particular length they recommended for the YS640. They told me to order the 19.25" sear kit, which I did and received today. There is a fairly large gap that allows them to slide front to back by as much as 3/4". A little excessive IMO. That could be a nuisance (i.e. moving around) when I am trying to move meat around.

April 27th, 2017, 8:49 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Picky... It's not a Internet Toaster or a micrometer. It wiggles. What happened to the meat smokers of the past? Deal with it. It wiggles. I have had my YS 640 and have Grill Grates since 3.5 years ago. My god 3/4" movement and not a perfect movement with perfect wine and friends. By as much as 3/4"! That ruins the meal for sure.

I bet you "if you owned a mechanical scale or micrometer you would find it under 1/2".

It's not Yoders fault, it's GrillGrates made by another company.

Stuff wiggles. Drink more wine.

Gaa,

May 1st, 2017, 9:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum wrote:Picky... It's not a Internet Toaster or a micrometer. It wiggles. What happened to the meat smokers of the past? Deal with it. It wiggles. I have had my YS 640 and have Grill Grates since 3.5 years ago. My god 3/4" movement and not a perfect movement with perfect wine and friends. By as much as 3/4"! That ruins the meal for sure.

I bet you "if you owned a mechanical scale or micrometer you would find it under 1/2".

It's not Yoders fault, it's GrillGrates made by another company.

Stuff wiggles. Drink more wine.
Gaa,

Settle down there, snappy.

In a phone conversation today with Joey from Yoder, he agreed that 19 1/4" is a little on the short side. He said that if I buy directly from allthingsbbq, the size they'll send me is 19 1/2", which they special-order from Grillgrates. If grates are bought directly from Grillgrates like I did, they'll recommend and send you the 19 1/4"...this size appears to be a general pre-cut size they stock. Grillgrates is accepting my return of the 19 1/4" and I'll order the 19 1/2" through allthingsbbq.

All is good. Hopefully you don't lose sleep over my decision to go with grates that are 1/4" longer.

April 16th, 2019, 5:15 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

They are installed in place of the round grates. They sit flat on the on the grate mounts.

Return to Pellet