Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 8th, 2016, 6:02 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

its $70...is it really useful, or just a waste? does anybody have one and use it? getting ready to order a 640 today and wondering if i should add it on the options list.

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

"Pissing off muslims one rack at a time"
June 8th, 2016, 7:52 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I do not have one, but others say that it makes it easier to work with the food on the bottom grates.

Yoder_Herb
June 8th, 2016, 8:01 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

thanx herb, figured as much. hey quick question... do you know if the 640 can be special ordered with the 10" wheels, like the ones that come with the ys1500 instead of the 8"

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 8th, 2016, 8:04 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes. Call 877.409.6337 and select option 1, or speak with your dealer.

Yoder_Herb
July 2nd, 2016, 10:00 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I would highly recommend both the 1/2 shelf and 10" wheels on a YS640.

July 3rd, 2016, 7:00 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have both and highly recommend the 1/2 shelve. The full shelve does make it more difficult if I am cooking ribs down below as it blocks access during spritzing and such. I guess I could have always just removed it when not in use but that also seems problematic. The biggest problem of having both is you are always storing one. To that end I created a steel "pocket" and painted with factory high heat paint then attached it to the back of the smoker. I usually have the full rack in the pocket and the 1/2 rack in the smoker.

Good luck on your decision.

July 4th, 2016, 5:59 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Yeah you guys are right. I'm still around 10-14 days on delivery. so i still have time to add the 1/2 shelf, at this point honestly...why the hell not? I'm already 3k into it. the 10" wheels do seem a little pricey though, if i remember correctly, i was quoted around $200 for them. do you think i can shop them out on my own for cheaper. having never seen the yoder in person, I'm wondering if the bolt attachment pattern is a standard thing that i can find locally on my own.

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 4th, 2016, 7:34 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I don't know if it's a standard pattern but I would GUESS you could order them later if you needed them. I have a 640/comp and a rough natural stone patio with many bumps and edges from the rock... I have the standard wheels and it rolls quite well! I think you'll be quite happy with it as is unless you plan to do some serious off roading! Lol

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
July 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Well the bottom of the 640 had a rod through one side and the larger wheels are attached to it. The small wheels are bolted to the bottom. I saw one guy mod his for some big 10" like wheels, much like the comp cart. There was welding, new bits had to be made etc. Was a lot of work. They just don't bolt the 10" wheels on, I'm sure there are different parts they use. $200 isn't a a bad deal once you account for the labor and the cost of the wheels.

July 5th, 2016, 9:11 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Bosox1901 wrote:Yeah you guys are right. I'm still around 10-14 days on delivery. so i still have time to add the 1/2 shelf, at this point honestly...why the hell not? I'm already 3k into it. the 10" wheels do seem a little pricey though, if i remember correctly, i was quoted around $200 for them. do you think i can shop them out on my own for cheaper. having never seen the yoder in person, I'm wondering if the bolt attachment pattern is a standard thing that i can find locally on my own.

I keep the half shelf in my YS640 most of the time, and only use the full shelf as needed.

Regarding the 10" wheels, I decided I wanted the extra couple inches of height after I got it home, so I installed them on my own. Yoder uses Marathon Industries Flat Free Casters. The mounting plate is the same (4.0 x 4.5") on both the 8" and 10" models, so it's an easy swap. They are available on Amazon (Prime) for $28-29ea. I sold the set of 8" takeoffs on Craigslist for $30 to help offset the cost of the upgrade.

#00301 Marathon 10" Rigid Caster with Flat Free Tire
#00302 Marathon 10" Swivel Caster with Flat Free Tire

The only drawback I see with the the 10" is they don't make a locking model. I work around this by simply turning one of the swivel casters perpendicular to the direction the YS640 wants to roll. Also, I installed 4 swivel casters instead of 2 rigid/2 swivel. It's a beast to move around, but I do like being able to spin it around once it gets rolling. I felt like this sometimes with the 2 rigid/2 swivel:

July 6th, 2016, 12:26 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Pics please. So I can show at other forums.

July 8th, 2016, 6:35 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

thank you Ware for that info, that is exactly what i was looking for. thanx to everyone else for their input as well. i will roll with the 8" for now, save the $200, and then upgrade if i feel the need later. at least now i know it can be done fairly easily and for about 1/2 the price. you guys rock!

so, im 4 weeks into my order, 2 more to go, more or less. i retired my weber bullet the day i placed my order and let me tell you, i am going thru some serious BBQ withdrawal. if i don't get a brisket and some ribs smoking soon, i may have to go full postal on the 1st vegan i come across.

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 12th, 2016, 10:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum wrote:Pics please. So I can show at other forums.

Sorry, pics of? The 10" casters?

July 13th, 2016, 11:02 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *
July 14th, 2016, 6:48 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

a quick search on amazon for 10" casters pulled this up. there are plenty of others as well. all for around $25 more or less

Attachments
41PVLfd-EUL (1).jpg
YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 15th, 2016, 3:09 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum wrote:Yep

Sorry, haven't forgot about this. I'll post a photo this weekend - unless that violates the user agreement of this forum.

July 15th, 2016, 4:58 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

marathon pneumatic 10" from from the big A $22.88 each

4.10/3.50-4-inch tire mounted on a rigid caster. 10-inch tire diameter. 12-inch overall height from mounting bracket to edge of tire.
Pneumatic (air-filled) tire. sawtooth tread.
Caster plate dimensions 4.0" x 4.5"
Perfect caster for small equipment, carts, etc.
300 lb load capacity. Not for highway use.

Attachments
81xYi7L+kOL._SX522_.jpg
marathon pneumatic 10" caster
YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 16th, 2016, 9:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Sorry for the delay on this. It's now ~29" from the ground to the top of the front shelf.

July 23rd, 2016, 10:51 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I got the full shelf when I purchased mine. I had a buddy cut it in half and weld some square tubing to it. Now if I need the full shelf I just put in the other half. Cost - Bottle of Johnie Walker

July 23rd, 2016, 4:55 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

brilliant idea pellet bob...umm maybe not, guess it depends on what color jonny walker we are talking about. haha

YS640 Competition
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 24th, 2016, 10:49 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

+1, great idea! Although I'm sure your post will get deleted for making an unauthorized modification to your Yoder/violating the user agreement. :roll:

This place has so much potential, but is run like communist China.

July 24th, 2016, 11:31 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I agree Ware. It's not a truly public forum. It's run by Yoder for Yoder. I accept their practices here. It's their site. I'm still here, nuff said. ;)

Now, if they could fix the post date thing. Newest post should be at the top. It's silly the way it is now.

July 24th, 2016, 1:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Ware wrote:+1, great idea! Although I'm sure your post will get deleted for making an unauthorized modification to your Yoder/violating the user agreement. :roll:

This place has so much potential, but is run like communist China.

The modification mentioned does not alter the designed functioning of the cooker. The issues we have with modifications have to do with any of the electronic components, heat and air flow being changed to alter the designed functioning of the cookers, and, this is only a problem if a customer asks to exercise the warranty or requests support after these modifications have been accomplished.

Anyone is free to do what ever they desire with/to their cooker, the problem is expecting warranty and support after the modification(s).

Everyone that registered on the forum agreed to the exact same terms of use. This forum is owned and operated by Yoder Smokers, and is provided free of charge to all. The limitations in the terms of use that everyone agreed to is to protect the Company et el. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed, but making derogatory statements are unnecessary and unappreciated. This forum serves a very specific purpose, and does it very well.

Yoder_Herb
July 24th, 2016, 3:14 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

It does it okay in the forums users eyes. Well? In the Yoder owners view all is well.

Please fix the ordering of the posts, then I'll also say it does it very well. Simple forum maintenance and setup.

I'm a big pro-user of the Yoder pellet smokers, it's done wonderful in the almost 3 years I have had it. I believe in the product, I like to help here. Fix the forums please. If pictures were easier, I'd post a butt roast of 7 butts. And briskets, chickens times 9 all at once etc. You can afford it.

July 24th, 2016, 3:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Conumdrum wrote:It does it okay If pictures were easier, I'd post a butt roast of 7 butts. And briskets, chickens times 9 all at once etc. You can afford it.

What is hard about posting pictures?

Look below, upload attachment, browse, add the file, insert in the post. This is how PHPBB does it, no other way to do it. If your picture is too big, email it to yourself and post it.

Yoder_Herb
Next

Return to Pellet