Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 30th, 2016, 2:15 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

This morning while smoking a fatty I had an issue. First notice excessive smoke and kinda knew where it was going. At that point I then noticed the digital readout just had a number 1 where the temp should be. Because the hopper was full, I figured I better empty even though I know that air is a fires best friend. So got down to a minimal amount of pellets and yes a small fire burned for 10 or 15 minutes. At that point even though the pit was turned off and should have been in the cool down mode, it would not totally shut down so I unplugged.My question is for Herb or any other moderator that wants to help.... Should I clean, add pellets and see where it leads me or should I assume its the thermocoupler and order one to throw in.

Ps., the pit was totally cleaned the day before but I did cook a brisket and a light cleaning afterward before starting the fatty.

Any suggestions, and happy Memorial day!

May 31st, 2016, 10:13 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Does your burn grate fit tightly in the firebox? There should be no gap between the hopper wall and the end of the burn grate.

Are the silicone seals compromised around the firebox? If so, you need to remove all the old silicone and re-apply high heat silicone.

Did you start the cooking session by plugging in the cooker? It is a requirement that the cooker be unplugged when not in use, and that each cooking session start by plugging in the cooker to power. If it is plugged in, unplug the power cord for a minimum of 30 seconds, then plug in the power cord and start the cooker.

Yoder_Herb
May 31st, 2016, 11:39 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hi Herb,
I appreciate the response!

Yes as part of my regular routine I did unplug after ending the last cook and then plugged in again when it was time for the next cook.

This morning I checked the seals and even though they looked a little more charred after the little fire I could not find an actual gap.

The firebox... honestly I will say my first year or so it did seem to kinda seat itself and was tight both against the back and underneath. I have however noticed that for the last year or so I have not been able to replicate the tight fit in both areas. I have stood on it a few times but cannot really get it to move much more. This morning I had a friend try with the same results. At this time there is probably 1/8" gap to the back as there has been for the last 1500 lbs or so of pellets.

I have not started back up but can always try and see if it was more of an anomaly but really think seeing as though I was 45 minutes into the cook that it was something else. I do have some permatex so can always reseal but would prefer to not if that is not the cause. Thought maybe the number 1 on the digital readout might mean something.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?

May 31st, 2016, 11:49 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I have seen strange things on the display from power issues, especially at competitions. The best thing to do is to flip the switch off, unplug the power for 30 seconds, plug it back in and restart...this works IF there is a fire in the cooker. If there isn't a fire in the cooker, then you must take the cooker apart and clean the burn grate before starting again.

The burn grate can be adjusted, I have seen a 125 pound woman do it, so I know you can do it. The trick is to have it on a stable hard surface, like concrete, and to adjust it a little at a time so you don't bend it too far.

Yoder_Herb
June 1st, 2016, 8:42 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I have had company for the last few days so have not had much time to mess with the 640. I did however start it up with the few remaining and partially charred pellets that were left in the feeder to clear it out. Seemed to work fine but once again there was very little time or pellets. Guess I'm gunna have to mess with the grate some more...I weigh 190 and my buddy weighs 200 but after bouncing on the grate a few times It still does not want to budge.

Will give everything a better try tomorrow or Friday and thanks for the help.

June 5th, 2016, 10:07 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Ok, so after one cook at 350 for an hour and a rib cook at 250 for close to 5 hours, all is well. Not sure what caused the problem but no flare ups and the digital readout seem to work as they should. Either way thanks again Herb!

Return to Pellet