Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 18th, 2016, 7:49 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I've been using foil to cover my diffuser plate ever since I got my 640 with no problems whatsoever, at least none that I'm aware of. Just been flipping through a few threads and picked up an inkling that Herb was recommending to leave the diffuser naked and scrape it with a putty knife to clean.

Herb--or others--is there actually a problem with using foil on the diffuser as long as it adheres tightly to the diffuser and doesn't impede air flow through the cooker? It's not causing me any temp issues that I'm aware of. Are there other probs that using foil may cause? In the grand scheme of things is this more of a user preference, or a strong recommendation from the factory as to the "right" way to run the smoker?

Many thanks,

TJ

May 18th, 2016, 9:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I always had air flow problems so that is why I went away from it. Plus I got a 2 piece plate that I use all the time. Foil would only get in the way.

May 19th, 2016, 12:50 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I use foil every time and make sure it's wrapped and tucked well. I've not had any issues yet. I prefer that method.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
May 19th, 2016, 6:15 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Been using foil since I got it, Oct will be 3 years. And I have the new two piece diffuser plate. I use foil except when I direct grill with the diffuser plate opened up.

May 19th, 2016, 7:44 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Conumdrum wrote:Been using foil since I got it, Oct will be 3 years. And I have the new two piece diffuser plate. I use foil except when I direct grill with the diffuser plate opened up.

I'll be three years in October too. Happy anniversary! :)

Thousands of pounds of pellets and even more pounds of meat later, still happy with the output. Just asking about the foil in case I'm causing problems I don't know about or doing damage. Very happy w/ the foil method otherwise!

Return to Pellet