Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 26th, 2016, 7:27 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

While I'm waiting for my 640.. I am wondering what the best practice is around the newish diffuser plate I ordered.

Specifically:
- highest temp with the door still in place

- does the door being there or not effect what you do with the damper? It seems like it could eliminate the need for the damper on some regards as having the door off is certainly going to create two zones on its own? Since I don't have one yet maybe I'm missing something.

- need for grill grate? Why wouldn't the normal grates work with door off? I thought grill grates were mostly about getting sear marks even from indirect high heat?

- mess/grease fire.. With the fire pot exposed with meat over it.. Good chance of grease getting all over fire pot. So definitely more clean up chore.. I can imagine this being one of the remaining benefits of grill grates as they catch and incinerate a good bit of it. Anyone get to the point of grease fires and such that could either lead to hopper fire or other damage?

Think that's about it right now :)

April 26th, 2016, 8:54 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

to answer one of these, in an email Don said the chrome grates are not designed to be exposed to the direct flames that the two door (and guessing the original option of removing the one piece diffuse entirely).

April 26th, 2016, 8:56 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Here are the latest manuals which will help explain: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153

And here is the 2 piece diffuser manual: download/Install%20and%20Repair/Two%20Piece%20Heat%20Diffuser%20Manual.pdf

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet