Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 10th, 2016, 5:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I visited a Yoder dealer today who has two YS640s with standard cart side by side.

The one manufactured in 2015 has a smaller style probe port installed. I believe this is the size that has been said to hold two probes comfortably with the insert lining still in place.

I was delightfully surprised to see that the one manufactured in 2016 had a larger, wider, probe port. I measured the opening of the larger probe port with insert in place to be 13/32" (just over 3/8").

I typically use three probes for a low n slow cook. Is it safe to assume that when ordering a new YS640, just one of the new style larger probe ports will be able to hold three comfortably? I use iGrill probes mostly, and would plan to feed in one at a time, and then plan to tighten all three wires in place so no heat escapes. (The wire width on the Maverick probes is similar so this would apply to Maverick, too.)

The dealer said that they order all of their YS640s from the factory with one probe port installed and that the two on the floor built in 2016 both came in with the wider ports. (One was a comp cart and the other a standard cart.)

Much thanks for clarifying that a design change has recently been made? (If helpful I can upload a pic showing the larger width.)

April 11th, 2016, 10:39 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The larger sized probe port is the new standard size, and the only one currently available from Yoder Smokers. The change was made to allow temperature probes of larger sizes and shapes to be utilized in the cooker, not necessarily the wire(s), but the probe end(s).

Yoder_Herb
April 11th, 2016, 11:06 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Excellent! So getting in three probe wires for an iGrill or Maverick is no problem, right? That was my impression but didn't have my probes on hand to check!

My iGrill probes have the 90 degree angles and I can see where they might be too thick for the older, smaller port. But I insert one at a time so the wires left behind are not thick in aggregate.

April 11th, 2016, 11:22 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I believe that is correct. I do not use any probes when I cook, so I do not have the first hand knowledge to tell you a resounding yes. The port size was increased to allow for the probed with the other than straight shape.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet