Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 26th, 2016, 11:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello,

I'm in the process of researching what new grill to purchase. I love smoked meats, so a good, well made pellet grill seems like a natural. My question is whether you can also effectively grill burgers, sausages, and steaks on a pellet grill? Again, I love the flavor of smoke so if it's possible to directly cook all of those things, I'm on my way to a pellet grill. I'm looking at a Yoder 480 (don't need the capacity of the 640).

Your thoughts, expertise and recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC

September 27th, 2016, 12:05 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just got done reading that there are some advantages (besides capacity) of the 640 over the 480. What are they, and are they important? Thanks.

JC

September 27th, 2016, 7:53 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I can't comment on the 640, but I've owned a 480 for two years. It's my go-to for most cooks. If you're looking for a well made pellet, then you can honestly stop looking any further. The unit is awesome.

Now for the part that might get me banned for life on this forum....

While you are searching for something to do burgers, sausages, etc on... while the pellet does a fantastic job... I would also put a ceramic grill into your search. I researched a lot and decided on a Primo. That's a whole different forum to post on, but in a nutshell... The ceramics are very versatile doing everything. The big disadvantage is cleanout and weight. They are very heavy. If I'm cooking burgers or steaks, I'll choose the Primo every time. I just feel like the bed of coals gives off so much heat. The pellet seems like it's just flames and doesn't really get the grate temp iron red hot like a bed of charcoal can. I'm going to get blasted for that comment, but all I'm saying is that if those meats are super important to you, then make sure you open your search up a bit.

If you want to do pizzas, lots of smoked meats, and then grill occasionally then pellet is the way to go. Ribs, pork tenderloins, chicken, fish will only ever see being cooked on my 480 because it's the gold standard of beautiful meat. But, if you're going to do more grilling than smoking then at least look at the ceramic as an option.

I'd be happy to continue the discussion as long as my account stays active here!! ;)

September 27th, 2016, 11:41 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Well, with the optional grill grates, and the cooker set at 600 degrees, the grate temperature can be in excess of 700+ degrees. Not sure how that doesn't fit the bill for any searing or grilling that anyone might need to do.

But honestly, with the optional grill grates, and the cooker set to 350-400 degrees, I would grill against any ceramic cooker and not skip a beat.

Yoder_Herb
September 29th, 2016, 8:43 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I agree with herb. The grill setup to actually cook with direct heat (no deflector and grill grates) I cook a better burger, brat, steak, etc... then I ever could on a different style cooker.

If you are looking for ONE machine, this cooker is for you.

I have a 640 on comp cart and IMHO it's worth the extra cash to get the extra space. The 640 also has the variable damper that I feel works really well for "moving" heat around in the cooker.

Hope that helps!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART

Return to Pellet