Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
February 2nd, 2016, 12:13 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all! I just joined the Yoder community last weekend when I bought a used Kingman. Had been looking at buying new, but a beauty popped up for sale in my area and made the choice very simple.

Upon getting the beast situated in the backyard, I loaded her up and smoked up some ribs and bacon wrapped chicken with moderate success. My food was done considerably faster than expected, so the unit was obviously running hotter than I had planned. Like many, I usually run Maverick probes to monitor ambient temperature, but there was no way I was going to run the probe wires under that door being that it is so heavy - not to mention it would cause smoke to leak.

I know Yoder offers an option for a probe port to be installed if you buy a new smoker, but has anyone done their own probe port mod? Any advice/ideas the community could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Brandon

February 2nd, 2016, 12:16 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
February 3rd, 2016, 8:20 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yes, easy peasy. Drill a hole, put a gasket in. I still have one of the 10 I bought a few years ago, all the rest were given away. PM me, I'll pass on the details.

February 5th, 2016, 8:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So, I must be one of the short straws....just received the probe port - thanks yoder herb for pointing me in the right direction - but not sure about the plastic/silicone insert. Am I supposed to cut out a hole in the silicone? Cut a slit in the silicone? From what I have read, it doesn't appear I am supposed to remove the insert. What am I supposed to do?

February 5th, 2016, 8:07 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You can unscrew the cap, and it will expand. Put your probes through it and then screw the cap back on to seal it around the probe wires. If you are putting more than 2 through the port, you may need to remove the insert all together, but don't loose it, as they are not available separately.

Yoder_Herb
February 5th, 2016, 10:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That is where I am confused. Put my probes through what? The silicone/rubber is solid. Is there supposed to be a hole in the center of the silicone? Am I supposed to cut a hole?

Thanks for the help!

February 5th, 2016, 10:52 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If you unscrew the cap, remove the insert and use your finger to spread out the fingers. The insert is made up of fingers that are pushed together when you screw the cap back on. There is no need to cut a hole.

If this doesn't help, post up a picture of what you are seeing.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners