Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
January 15th, 2016, 3:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'll be smoking ribs on a Wichita Loaded for a large group. This will be my first big cook. If I am going to get it done in one cook, I'll need to load the smoker up, using racks to hold the ribs upright. I know this is not the preferred method, so I guess I really have two questions. 1. Does cooking time go up due to flow restriction or other reasons when the smoker is really full? 2. Are there any special tips for cooking ribs on an upright rack?

Thanks a million,

Jimmy

January 15th, 2016, 8:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I have used rib racks, and other than the spots where the ribs touch, the ribs came out pretty much the same as lying flat. Cooking time can be skewed, so plan for the worst and expect the best.

The rib racks make it especially hard to rotate, check or remove the ribs though. All ribs will never be done at the same time, so the rib racks can make the job that much harder.

I always try to fill my cookers. The added load can change the air flow, and you may have to rotate now and again, but considering the cost, I feel it is best to fill it up, you are doing the work anyway. Leftovers can be vacuum sealed and frozen. I buy vacuum seal bags by the case (1000 or more at a time).

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners