Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
September 9th, 2017, 4:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Joe Phillips, the designer of the Yoder cookers, discusses how to properly manage the fire and temperatures in Yoder offset cookers in this video:

Yoder_Herb
September 19th, 2017, 5:39 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I had never thought of moving the heat management plate around to create different heat zones. T-Roy said he does this intentionally to create a 50F to 75F degree variance from side to side.

Today, I saw this photo of a Horizon smoker which has an actual adjustment handle on their "convection plate." That's an interesting feature, and seems to do exactly what T-Roy is talking about, except this smoker allows you to make adjustments during the cook without opening the door or messing with the grates.

I've seen the adjustable sliding door on the larger Yoder heat management plates, and that seems like it would be easier to move since the entire plate doesn't have to move. I wonder which system is the most effective.

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Large Big Green Egg 2014
September 20th, 2017, 10:22 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

This convection plate system is actually on rails, which would make it slide easily, but more importantly, it does not angle downward - it is parallel with the cooking grates, which makes it more like a traditional tuning plate system. The Yoder heat management plate angles downward towards the smokestack end, and I believe that placement impedes airflow somewhat.

I may look into modifying my Wichita's heat management plate (or making a new one) so that it has an adjustment handle like this, and fits horizontally instead of angling downward. Then I could create the hot zone on the right side of the chamber using the handle.

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Large Big Green Egg 2014
Previous

Return to Stick Burners