Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
June 15th, 2015, 9:48 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello folks...

I bought my loaded Wichita about a week ago and seasoned it over the weekend. Is it normal to leak a lot of smoke on the firebox and cooking chamber doors? Mine does... Quite badly actually.

Any suggestions?

June 15th, 2015, 10:23 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The smokers are not made to be "sealed" or air/smoke tight. As with any metal, over time the heating and cooling will "cure" the metal, which will tighten things up. Also, as you cook, the natural build up of seasoning inside the cooker will also tighten things up. Wood pits depend on air flow from the firebox to the chimney. If there is a breeze or wind that reverses or retards this air flow, you might also see excessive smoke from the firebox. It is suggested that the chimney damper be wide open, and that the firebox damper be used to regulate the heat/fire in the cooker. Then the chimney damper may be used to fine tune the cooker to your desired outcome, but, never close the chimney damper more than 50%.

Yoder_Herb
June 16th, 2015, 9:43 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks a ton, Herb.

I figured that as much... I've been so used to the COS' that I've always smoked on; I expected this to be totally airtight. Thanks again for the reassurance =)

Return to Stick Burners