Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
April 20th, 2015, 12:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi,

I received my Loaded Wichita some month ago and begin to be not too bad with it ;)

I really enjoy it a lot, it took me almost 3 years to find a reseller able to ship one to Belgium, but the wait was really worth it.

I just have on small issue, temperature. Or to be more precise, thermometer.

I must be doing something wrong, but I always have about 100°F between the one next to the firebox and the upper one next to the chimney.

See the image attached.

WichitaMeters.jpg

If you look at the Guru (yeah, sorry, it's in Celsius) the lower meter is quite correct, 325°f being about 145°c, but the upper one is stuck at around 210°f.

From what I read I should have a far more even temperature as I have the heat management plate installed, so I suppose the problem is in something I'm not doing right. But does someone have any idea of what ?

Thanks

Jean-Luc

April 20th, 2015, 8:41 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Are you running the heat management plate?

April 20th, 2015, 9:53 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yes, that's why I'm so puzzled by the temperature difference...

April 20th, 2015, 7:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Did you try swapping the yoder thermometers to see if you get the same results? Maybe you have a bad analog thermometer.

Yoder Loaded Wichita, pile of wood, matches.
April 21st, 2015, 11:35 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I too have a loaded Wichita, my temperature difference is about 50 degrees between the two factory thermometers. I run a maverick digital also, on the cooking grate, it typically reads between the factory gauges. One of your gauges may be bad.

April 22nd, 2015, 9:50 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

on my kingman with a heat plate, the best I can ever get is 50 on a good day, usually closer to 60-70 degree difference, not really that big of a deal because you'll learn to start using cooler/hotter spots to your advantage, and also allows you to do chicken/pork cooks at same time.

June 20th, 2015, 9:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I received my Yoder Loaded Wichita this past Tues and I finally got a chance to season it last night. Now I don't know if the seasoning temp process is different than actually cooking in it.

At start up I also experienced the wide side to side temp variation as do most here have mentioned but once the pit got hot and stabilized the temps also stabilized from side to side.

What I did was use heavy duty foil to close down the huge gaps where the HMP comes in contact with the firebox/main chamber wall particularly the corners. Also laid foil on the first 6-8" flat area of the plate. I'm thinking this forces the heat to go underneath the plate and not rise to the grate (known hot spot) immediately next to the firebox.

Now I don't know if this will translate when actually cooking.....but for now, I am very happy with the results.

I will try to attach photos of the thermometers.

Thanks,
Gus

Edited to add: Yoder....I noticed the thermometers on my Wichita are Tel-Tru......has this always been the case?? Either way.....NICE. 8-)

Attachments
Firebox bottom.jpg
Chimney side top.jpg
June 23rd, 2015, 6:55 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

superlead73 wrote:I received my Yoder Loaded Wichita this past Tues and I finally got a chance to season it last night. Now I don't know if the seasoning temp process is different than actually cooking in it.

At start up I also experienced the wide side to side temp variation as do most here have mentioned but once the pit got hot and stabilized the temps also stabilized from side to side.

What I did was use heavy duty foil to close down the huge gaps where the HMP comes in contact with the firebox/main chamber wall particularly the corners. Also laid foil on the first 6-8" flat area of the plate. I'm thinking this forces the heat to go underneath the plate and not rise to the grate (known hot spot) immediately next to the firebox.

Now I don't know if this will translate when actually cooking.....but for now, I am very happy with the results.

I will try to attach photos of the thermometers.

Thanks,
Gus

Edited to add: Yoder....I noticed the thermometers on my Wichita are Tel-Tru......has this always been the case?? Either way.....NICE. 8-)

that...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Return to Stick Burners