Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
March 27th, 2015, 10:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Has anyone tried the charcoal box yet? If so please share how it works. I ordered one for my Loaded Witchia and was wondering if you could also add some wood to the charcoal

April 10th, 2015, 11:24 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I too am interested in finding out how well one of these would work. I wouldn't see how adding wood would be a problem but, I wonder if my competition cart is too big though. I guess I may have to have one made and post the results.

Loving my Kingman Competition Cart!
April 10th, 2015, 12:22 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You can add wood chunks on top of the charcoal without issues.

Dom: here is the link to get a basket for your Kingman: http://www.atbbq.com/store/show/ys-charcoal-basket.html

Yoder_Herb
April 13th, 2015, 1:36 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:You can add wood chunks on top of the charcoal without issues.

Dom: here is the link to get a basket for your Kingman: http://www.atbbq.com/store/show/ys-charcoal-basket.html

Herb, Thanks for the link. I was going to order it with my smoker and for the life of me I cannot remember why I didn't. I just ordered it though and I'll let you guys know when it comes in. I know that I will not be using this for brisket, turkey, pork or anything else that I like to use wood for. Perhaps I'll go to the coast and grab some seafood at the market and use chunks of wood and charcoal in the basket. We have a couple of weeks before it gets to me so if there is anything anyone wants to know or wants pictures of (other than fit and finish) please let me know so that I may be of help. Also, if you have a favorite charcoal you want me to try then let me know. If it is available in my area I'll get it and give you the burn time and whatever else you might want.

Thanks again Herb!

April 16th, 2015, 2:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

How well do they work with the Frontiersman? Do you remove the grates from the burn chamber? Was just wondering because I try to offset some of my wood usage with charcoal, but the coal does not throw the heat as well as wood. I have been cooking at 275º lately and it really takes just a few pieces of wood to maintain temp once she gets going, but with coal the temp swings too much due to burning through it so fast. I've got my flu wide open and the air intake adjusted to about a 1/4" open.

Thanks

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
April 16th, 2015, 4:06 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The charcoal baskets are designed with 3 equal spaces with dividers. The charcoal is burned in a S pattern that allows for a long even burn. You would need to cut the intake air back a little. This will allow for a very consistent burn over a extended period of time. Typically you will see 4-5 hours of burn time out of 2-3 pounds of charcoal. Temperature and humidity will have some effect on burn time but not more than a hour or so either way.
I wouldn't recommend anything more than a few wood chunks in the basket for flavor,
The basket will work well in the Frontiersman II.
Give me a call if you would like to discuss getting one on order.

April 16th, 2015, 10:51 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Ok. You have peaked my interest. If the basket will generate enough heat to run a Frontiersman for a period of time, I assume it would work with a Durango 24...

How would it do with lump vs. Charcoal?

Durango 24
April 17th, 2015, 10:45 am
Site AdminSite Admin

It will work well in the 24" Durango as well. The same as normal operation the horizontal chamber will run hotter then the vertical.

April 17th, 2015, 2:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have used my basket three times with Frontier and Royal Oak lump. I added a few chunks of Hickory, It is really easy to maintain a constant temp. But the meat tastes like an ash tray. Any suggestions, I am using around 8lbs of charcoal and adding the hickory chunks to it. I did ribs both times,I had them on for about five hours. I didn't wrap them in foil.

April 17th, 2015, 9:16 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Couple of questions on your pit. Sounds like a dirty smoldering smoke, on the ribs? I'm typically running the basket for a heat source after they are wrapped. I would recommend less charcoal and a little more air flow.

April 18th, 2015, 5:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It is putting out a nice thin blue smoke, I will try less charcoal, thanks for the suggestion.

April 22nd, 2015, 11:55 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Joe, I will probably hold off till more folks weigh in on the basket. We've got comps down to a science on wood consumption and fire management. It'd kinda be like starting over for us. But, with the possibility of even longer cook times between feedings & possibly a more consistent temp, it's looking quite appealing.

Thanks
BG

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
April 24th, 2015, 10:29 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just got mine. I got home a week ago and am doing a cook today but can't use it for fear of messing up a lot of expensive meat. I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week but when I get back I'll try it. Fit and finish are of course great but that's what I've come to expect from Yoder. If anyone cares to see pictures I'll be glad to take some and post them but only after I figure out how to do it. Sorry, I'm a knuckle dragger and turning on a computer is a feat all in itself for me.

April 25th, 2015, 12:39 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Dom 1975 wrote:I just got mine. I got home a week ago and am doing a cook today but can't use it for fear of messing up a lot of expensive meat. I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week but when I get back I'll try it. Fit and finish are of course great but that's what I've come to expect from Yoder. If anyone cares to see pictures I'll be glad to take some and post them but only after I figure out how to do it. Sorry, I'm a knuckle dragger and turning on a computer is a feat all in itself for me.

yes please!!!

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Return to Stick Burners