Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
January 12th, 2015, 9:13 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am looking at a Durango vs a Loaded Witchita. Is there anything a Witicha can't do or do as well compared to a Durango? I am wondering if the vertical smoker section is just more room as opposed to being real unique. I know that you can hang things in there but can you not smoke those things horizontally as well? Also if there is a difference in performance I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions.

Thanks.
HHH.

January 12th, 2015, 4:51 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey HHH - I run a Durango 24. The flexibility of this unit is impressive. The vertical section will run 70 to 100 degrees cooler than the main horizontal section depending on the main chamber temp. So imagine the ability to roast a load of chicken or a couple of turkeys at 350 while you smoke several racks of ribs at 250+. Or smoke ribs, brisket, butt, etc at 270 while you are making jerky, home made ham hocks/bacon, or keeping other items warm at 170.

I don't have hands on with the Wichita, but based on my experience (imho), the Wichita and Durango 20 will function virtually the same. However the Durango 20 gives you the added flexibility and warming space. A great benefit if you are cooking away from the home.

Make sure to add the comparable options to your Durango 20 cost when comparing to the loaded Wichita. You will definitely want to add the Heat Management Plate to the Durango if you go that rout.

Also consider where you are using/storing your unit. Look at the size and height of the Durango 20 (I say the 20 because it is the same diameter as the Wichita). at over 6 feet tall, storage and transport could be an issue depending on our planned use.

My 24 lives on a trailer.

durango 24.jpg

Durango 24
February 2nd, 2015, 11:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Can I ask where you picked up your durango? I live in WA as well an found shipping to be over 500. Just trying to make sure I don't overpay. Thanks.

February 3rd, 2015, 9:19 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I agree with TcircleT on all counts...
heat plate is a must...

I got mine used (only one I've ever seen advertised) in Kentucky an made the 7+hr each way drive to get her,

and I am glad I did and thankful to have found it...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
February 3rd, 2015, 1:32 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Sausageleif: Where are you located in Wa (PM if you want). I got mine from Sam's NW BBQ in Sherwood Or. I was there this weekend and he has some Durango 20's in stock. As well as several other Yoder models.

Durango 24

Return to Stick Burners