Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
January 4th, 2015, 6:16 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What do you guys do to your racks when your preparing to cook? I know with my propane BBQ, I fire it up and let it warm up to about 400 degrees or so, brush the racks and then apply olive oil or corn oil to them with a paper towel and tongs. I hardly ever get anything sticking to them. Now with the smoker, do you still have to do the same thing to racks where the meat is actually sitting to smoke? Or do you not really have an issue to it sticking since the heat isn't as intense?

I noticed on my racks when I bought the unit yesterday, they seem to be sharp in between the diamonds, anyone have this issue? I know its just from manufacturing when they stamp out the diamonds, it leaves a sharp edge. I was going to take the steel file to them first and make sure there are no sharp edges to catch and cut anyone when moving the racks around. Didn't know if just got a rough batch or everyone noticed this when you bought your unit?

Still pretty wound up at getting to use this today and watch the smoke. I might even have to break out a brew and a lawn chair to sit in the snow to watch things. :lol:

Yoder Cheyenne
Is there really anything better than BBQ?
January 4th, 2015, 12:08 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Oil with Veggie oil. And yep, all of the expanded steel racks are like that, all I've ever seen.

January 4th, 2015, 12:11 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am waiting for my Loaded Wichita but, on my old pit there has never been a problem with anything sticking to the racks, the difference in heat is definitely a factor compared to a BBQ grill.
I plan on using gloves for moving my racks around but it is really a matter of preference if you want to de-burr them.

January 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I always let the pellet cookers heat up to the default 350, use a brush to knock the debris off of the top of all the grates, AND, the bottom of the upper grate. Then I use a folded up bunch of paper towels to wipe the excess oil/grease from the grate surfaces, as this can be bitter. Once this is done, the meat goes on.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners