Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
November 6th, 2014, 10:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

If budget were not an issue, it would be a no-brainer decision to get the Wichita. However, budget is reality so I'm trying to decide between the two models. I mostly cook for a family of 4, but occasionally we do entertain friends and family (between 8-14 people), serving brisket, chicken, or ribs. Is the Cheyenne big enough inside for a 25 pound turkey? I've never smoked one but one of these thanksgivings I want to do that. If some of you have the Cheyenne and pics with food on the grill, I might be able to visualize how much room I have in the cooking chamber. Finally, since the pit is smaller, will that make the firebox more prone to rust (from heat) than the Wichita? Thanks,
Kevin

November 7th, 2014, 8:51 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

welcome...

speaking for myself,,, I am firm in the belief:
always always always get the next size up cooker from what you think your needs are now...
I find space and room a very good thing and get better results than the crowded cooks...

been my experience fireboxes only rust when neglected,,,
always empty the ashes ASAP after use when cold and if you see any external rust starting
clean and hit with BBQ paint...
I've done many 12-14 pound brined and smoked turkeys and they smoke up very well,,, impressive really...
I believe you might want to think about tenting a 25 pounder after 2 - 2-1/2 hrs of smoking lest it over smokes...

my 2c...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
November 7th, 2014, 4:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Thumperrr. I agree with that logic but before I decide, I guess I'd like to hear experiences from Cheyenne owners. I've found plenty of reviews on YouTube for the Wichita. I'm convinced about that one, but I'm curious about the Cheyenne.

January 12th, 2015, 1:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have had a Cheyenne for the last 2 years. It is just my wife and I and occasionally, I will cook for 8. The Cheyenne is more than adequate. The Cheyenne does not require much wood to operate as it is smaller. I also own a Yoder YS480 and enjoy smoking with this unit as well. If you are going to cook for 20 people more than one time, then the Wichita is the better choice.

Return to Stick Burners