Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
June 28th, 2019, 7:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I've been buying wood logs in bundles from the outdoor store where I purchased my Wichita. Recently I decided to look for a different source. I called some orchards in the area and eventually I found a place that sold me some big apple logs that they cut late last year. Also back in the early spring some people in my neighborhood cut down a couple of big maple trees and they let me have some of it. And then a guy who works for me cut down a cherry tree for someone he knows and he brought me some of that. So the maple and cherry are close to the same age(time of cutting) and the apple is probably three months older. I was watching Aaron Franklin's Master Class and he was discussing wood. He also used a moister meter to check the moister in the wood. Moister is supposed to be 20% for seasoned wood. So i went and bought a moister meter from Lowes to check the moister of the wood. At this point I figured the apple would be seasoned but the maple and cherry wouldn't be. To my surprise the readings I got for both maple and cherry were around 10% give or take. Seems it dried a lot faster then I thought it would. Makes me wonder if the moister meter is accurate. The apple pieces I checked were about the same except one log was 35%. I also checked some of the wood I got from the store and they were around 10% give or take so about the same.

Is 10% moister content still good for smoking? Anyone have any advice on moister meters or on wood in general?

June 29th, 2019, 11:52 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I would use it without question.

Yoder_Herb
June 20th, 2021, 4:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I don't even know what to tell you. I never buy logs. I have a garden in my country house. Mostly trees and shrubs grow there. There are a lot of trees, I have absolutely no time to cut them and saw dry branches. my brother said he knew how to help me and advised . They helped me put my garden in order. Those dry branches that they cut down, I will use as firewood. Now my garden looks beautiful and I can invite my friends to my house for dinner. I will show off my beautiful garden, I know that I will like it too.Dry branches that remain, I will throw into the fireplace. You can just find someone to give you the logs for free.

Return to Stick Burners