Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
September 5th, 2014, 11:28 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has a Stockton and could offer insight on how it cooks? I have been wanting to get one but I can't find anyone who actually has one since I live in Illinois, and online reviews always go off on tangents for Lang or some other brand that has nothing to do with what the user is actually asking about. If there is anyone out there that can give me an opinion on the way it cooks I would be very appreciative, I almost bought a Loaded Wichita but when I saw the Stockton I paused and now I'm leaning towards that. I could definitely utilize the space on the Stockton as I will be loading it with 10-12 racks of ribs, 20-30 lbs of chicken, and a brisket or two at a time. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

September 7th, 2014, 9:43 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I've never used one, but I have seen one a few times, and it looks like one heckuva cooker. A lot of capacity in a small footprint, and a damper between the firebox and cook chamber to control heat and smoke in the cooker chamber. The new auto closing slam latches are pretty dang awesome too.

Yoder Smokers YS1500, Yoder Smokers 24" Firepot, Yoder Smokers YS640 CompCart(sold)
September 8th, 2014, 11:29 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Hello Dizzle37,

The Stockton is great cooker that provides a ton of cooking space and versatility. As a general rule the bottom two shelves will run 50-75 degrees hotter than the upper shelves. This is due to the radiant heat that is created by the heat diffuser and the entry point of the air flow into the main chamber. This temperature differential is very predictable and can be used for cooking at different temperatures for varying types of meat. This cooker has three ways to adjust the air flow and really gives the cook the ability to dial the unit in at the desired cooking temperature.

This cooker will work well for your requirements. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

September 9th, 2014, 11:26 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have been a stick burner for several years. I have one of the original Oklahoma joes smoker's. Last week the "Boss" gave me the approval to order a Stockton. Looks like the best of two worlds, I can hang and smoke my summer sausage or do several butts or briskets. Curious if Yoder Herb can take pictures of my new smoker as it goes through the different stages of manufacturing?.

September 9th, 2014, 12:34 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Because I work in a separate location from the manufacturing, I am unable to provide you with the pictures that you are asking for. Everyone in production has their heads down totally focused on building cookers, so I am not sure that we will be able to provide you with pictures at this time.

Yoder_Herb
September 9th, 2014, 2:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Yoder Herb, I understand about the pictures but it sure would be cool to show them off!

September 12th, 2014, 1:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Awesome! Thank you all so much for your replies!

September 13th, 2014, 1:45 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I love the Stockton too and hope (hint, hint) that Yoder might be secretly working on a pellet-fired version of the Stockton. :) Good luck w/ whatever you end up choosing.

October 8th, 2014, 7:27 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have not seen it but is there a fitted cover for the Stockton?

October 8th, 2014, 10:52 am
Site AdminSite Admin

There is not a cover for the Stockton.

Yoder_Herb
October 31st, 2014, 3:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have 2 questions, on the wood burning FAQ page it says all wood burners come with a ash clean out tool. Mine did not? Second question I an trying to season my smoker, I have built a fire like you normally would and out has been 2 hours and temp finally getting to 150 in cooking area. Outside temp in the 40's light wind damper open, middle damper open full and stack opened all the way. Ideas?

November 1st, 2014, 8:28 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The FAQ is not completely accurate. We do not provide a clean out tool with any square fire box pit. We recommend a small fireplace shovel for clean out on your unit.

Now on to your temperature. What position is the fire box door dampener in? This is a lot of steel to get heated up in this cooker. That being said getting started correctly is crucial. I typically start with 1.5-2.0 pounds of charcoal with the fire box door open and all other dampeners wide open. Once I have a good charcoal base, I would add three pieces of split wood. Once I add the split wood I close the fire box door and open the door dampener all the way, I close the stack to about 3/4 open. This will typically net a 250-275 degree temperature range. You can then begin to use the fire box and the center dampener to regulate temperature. The lower section (bottom two shelves will tend to be + 50 hotter than the upper shelves. It will take a little adjustment of the stack and the center dampener to get the temperature regulated to your preference. This is dependent on the fuel be used and may take more less fuel. You are looking for a clean efficient fire with a good coal base.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

November 1st, 2014, 8:47 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder Joe, I believe I found what my problem was. I removed the heat management plate and temp started going up. With the colder outside temps (fall or winter) maybe my heat issue was from not getting the full effects of the offset. In the warmer months I would put it back in. What do you think?

November 2nd, 2014, 5:29 am
Site AdminSite Admin

llurbanec,
Running the Stockton without the heat diffuser is fine. You will find that lower grates will be much hotter this way. It will allow you to see the adjustments much quicker. Once you run it this way for awhile, you may find that you don't want the heat diffuser. Most owners run with the heat diffuser in. One of the benefits of a new pit is your ability to make it run too your liking.

April 13th, 2016, 5:46 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

had a cutom cover made for my Stockton today and it wasn't cheap either...But it's a top of the line.

And a good investment.

I had it made at Gladstone Auto Trim in Gladstone Missouri

Return to Stick Burners