Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
September 3rd, 2014, 6:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am trying to cover all of the bases before my smoker arrives. What is the best way to season my Loaded Wichita? This forum has been very helpful, there are a lot of experienced pit masters/members on here. I enjoy reading everyone's inputs.

September 3rd, 2014, 7:28 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

There is really no NEED to season your pit, but I usually do just because it's kind of a ritual for me. I would wash the grates, then do the initial two hour 350* burn off. Then once the pit has cooled, you can oil the inside of the pit to season it. I apply peanut oil with a rag, then spray the racks with Pam. But you can spray the whole inside if you want, I just prefer a little control over the oil.

September 3rd, 2014, 7:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
September 19th, 2014, 7:09 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Kirby wrote:There is really no NEED to season your pit, but I usually do just because it's kind of a ritual for me. I would wash the grates, then do the initial two hour 350* burn off. Then once the pit has cooled, you can oil the inside of the pit to season it. I apply peanut oil with a rag, then spray the racks with Pam. But you can spray the whole inside if you want, I just prefer a little control over the oil.

Yoder_Kirby, I don't want to season mine if it is unnecessary. But, it will go months at a time without use do to my work. Can you please explain why it isn't needed? Or whats needed in place of seasoning.

Loving my Kingman Competition Cart!
September 19th, 2014, 8:27 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

The initial burn off is all that's really needed. The pit will season itself during your cooks. If you just cook a few pork butts, your pit will be seasoned after that. Like I said, I just like to do it, sort of as a ritual or cristining if you will. But it will season itself while being used to cook. Also, the inside of Yoders are painted at the factory, so there won't be exposed steel to worry about.

September 19th, 2014, 9:45 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Kirby wrote:The initial burn off is all that's really needed. The pit will season itself during your cooks. If you just cook a few pork butts, your pit will be seasoned after that. Like I said, I just like to do it, sort of as a ritual or cristining if you will. But it will season itself while being used to cook. Also, the inside of Yoders are painted at the factory, so there won't be exposed steel to worry about.

Thank you sir. You're a true gent.

Loving my Kingman Competition Cart!

Return to Stick Burners