Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
September 12th, 2016, 2:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello,

I've got the little Cheyenne smoker, and had a question about using a pizza stone over the fire ...

Has anyone ever tried this? I was thinking I could put a decent quality pizza stone in there and it would be pretty close to a domed type wood-fired pizza oven.

I'm worried though that the heat might break the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stephen
Boise, Idaho

September 12th, 2016, 3:24 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Might want to try a pizza steel. I bought one on line. Food Grade 1/4" steel. Heat for as long as you want. I have tried mine heated both under and over a pizza (to melt and heat the toppings) Actually tell you the longer you heat the better. I'm a pellet guy but have used in the oven as well as my 640...think it might solve your problem. Only problem is I wish they made 'em a little bigger but they are heavy and shipping is one of the reasons the price is so high.

September 12th, 2016, 5:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Go with the steel. I shattered a "stone" pizza stone in my YS640 over the direct fire. I will say cooking a pizza in a wood fire cooker is the only way to go.

September 14th, 2016, 8:40 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Agreed. Pizza on a cast iron plate is best over fire. I bought one made by Lodge on Amazon for like 50-60 bucks I think and it works great in oven and on my 640.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
September 14th, 2016, 12:45 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I do have a Lodge cast iron frying pan that I use when I want to try a deep dish. I have a steel plate for regular pizza which I use more. For me I prefer a regular pizza so I find the steel makes a better cooked dough but probably think the amount of ingredients in the deep dish pizza does not allow it to be cooked quite the way I like it. I have never tried the lodge pancake grill. For us pellet heads cooking on the grill grates flat side works also but a little more ash sticking to the dough is a problem unless you are cooking a Papa Murphy's with the cardboard plate underneath.

Although, if any of you have a Main and Vine grocery store near you, you might want to try one of their pizza's!! My new favorite pizza...blows 99% of the pizzaria's away

September 14th, 2016, 2:44 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks guys!

I hadn't thought of using a metal sheet. I will look into that.

I'll let you know how it works!

Stephen

May 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

So if youre using a Pizza steel what configuration and temp do you guys use?

Id like to try getting it as hot as possible and crank the pies out in a few minutes... Anybody had any luck?

Return to Stick Burners