Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
August 4th, 2016, 8:53 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I'm interested in getting a log grate like the one in the Kingman for my Wichita. Has anyone else done this?

The expanded metal grate on my Wichita is adequate I suppose, but I like that heavy duty grate on the Kingman, and I'm thinking I could still put the expanded metal grate on top of it to keep the smaller pieces of charcoal from falling through so easily.

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 4th, 2016, 9:27 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Here's what I'm talking about.

Wichita Grate (expanded metal):

Kingman Grate (metal rods):

Cimarron Grate (metal rods w/expanded metal):

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 5th, 2016, 1:41 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Give Joey a call at 877.409.6337, option 2 and he will get you fixed up.

Yoder_Herb
August 9th, 2016, 5:46 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I called Joey and he said the heavy log grates were available for the Wichita but he didn't have any in stock. Do you know what the official product name or part number is for this part? Joey wouldn't let me order one directly so I have to try to describe this part to my local vendor, who has no idea what I'm talking about because the part is nowhere to be found online.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 9th, 2016, 9:24 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Hehe. Classic. Got a guy who makes/fixes stuff. Company just tells him to make a "Dooflicky" and he does.

If he leaves or layed off.......... That's why USA companies have issues. They won't pay for a new guy to absorb the knowledge before the "Dooflicky" guy retires etc.

August 9th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

slamkeys wrote:I called Joey and he said the heavy log grates were available for the Wichita but he didn't have any in stock. Do you know what the official product name or part number is for this part? Joey wouldn't let me order one directly so I have to try to describe this part to my local vendor, who has no idea what I'm talking about because the part is nowhere to be found online.

The reinforced burn grate for the Wichita is not something that we sell on a regular basis. Your dealer may contact their dealer representative at the company, and get the information required to order this item. If your dealer doesn't want to order the item for you, please contact us at 877.409.6337, option 2.

Yoder_Herb
August 9th, 2016, 9:41 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

"Reinforced Burn Grate" - that's the ticket. I'm supposed to hear from Nor-west Appliance tomorrow after they talk to Yoder. While we're on this subject, how do I get an ETA on the charcoal basket I ordered with my Wichita? The dealer said it would be mailed directly to my house but I haven't heard anything else about it. The order was on 7/18/2016.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 9th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

We would need the specific order number to check on it. The dealer should inquire when they call the Company about the grate. We normally don't ship dealer orders directly to customers.

Yoder_Herb
August 9th, 2016, 11:45 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I'll wait and talk to the dealer since he never gave me an order number - everything was done over the phone. Maybe he's having the basket sent to his dealership and then he's going to mail it to me, but he told me it would be sent directly to my house. Seems like an extra expense to make 2 separate shipments.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 10th, 2016, 5:39 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I got one ordered! :D

I did clarify with the dealer how they ship add-on items. They have the accessories shipped along with their regular smoker orders directly to their facility, and then the customer has to go over there to pick them up. It's not as great as having them shipped directly to your home, but you also get a break on the shipping charge (I think) because the dealer is already paying for the delivery of the smokers.

According to Joey, "We don't normally drop-ship to customers," which is exactly what Yoder_Herb said.

The thing that sort of irritates me is the dealer doesn't keep me informed with a tracking number or even a shipping estimate (he has regularly scheduled shipments) like most other tech-savvy businesses do these days. I'm expected to wait for a phone call when it arrives, I guess. It's much easier to make plans when you know exactly when something ships and have access to tracking along the way.

I'll wait until both of my add-on items arrive at the dealer, and then make the drive down there to pick them up at the same time.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
September 5th, 2016, 10:40 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I picked up the parts on Friday. I didn't get chance to test out the charcoal basket yet, but I used the log grate. I'll have to do a burn test on the charcoal basket to see how long it lasts with a full load, and see if it can hold 225 degrees while it's burning down.

The heavy log grate is definitely heavy to move around. Don't get one of these if you have a bad back. I was hoping it wouldn't have the expanded metal welded onto it, but mine does. The round rods are actually further apart than I expected too, and they look like they were just "eye-balled" in place because they aren't all the same distance apart. I don't think they help to keep the smaller coals from falling through as much as I wanted. The heavy grate also sits up higher than the expanded metal grate, but I don't know what impact that might have on performance.

Heavy Log Grate:

Charcoal Basket:

Large Big Green Egg 2014
October 4th, 2016, 9:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm curious how the charcoal basket is doing for you. I have an Abilene 20" that I grill and smoke on. The charcoal basket may be just the ticket for my indirect cooks. Let us know please...

October 5th, 2016, 8:05 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

We do not make a charcoal basket for the Abilene, sorry.

Yoder_Herb
October 6th, 2016, 7:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

one of my few complaints about the Kingman....does the log grate really need to be that heavy? I dread having to do a really good cleaning of the smoker because it means taking that thing out, which means pita.

That and I wish it had a slide out lower rack...when it's loaded up with meat, you have to slide out the upper rack to get to lower stuff.

Other than that, it's a beautiful piece of art!

October 7th, 2016, 8:18 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

You could build another one that is lighter with help from a friend that is a welder or pay out the nose to make one specific for your personal needs. Some folks need that and are willing to pay even more. f it must be lighter, you'll figure it out. I know, we all ain't 33 years old anymore.

Can't please everyone......

September 1st, 2017, 9:59 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

After using both the factory grate and the heavy duty grate for many cooks, I'd say I prefer the original factory grate because it has some flex to it. You can tap it with your poker to "bounce" it enough to clean the ashes off your coals. The heavy duty grate has zero flex to it, so tapping it doesn't cause any movement at all.

The only issue I have with the factory grate is how the large openings allow the coals to fall through so easily. I always place a second grate below it to prevent the coals from falling through. This cooker needs to keeps as many coals on the grate as possible in order to keep the wood burning clean.

This is my favorite setup right now:

Large Big Green Egg 2014

Return to Stick Burners