Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
August 1st, 2016, 4:32 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Has anyone noticed the heat management plate does not force the heat to go under the plate at the sides because there are large gaps between the plate and the sides of the cooking chamber?

I've read at least one discussion where a customer was trying to even out his temps using wads of tin foil to fill the openings where the heat management plate does not touch the sides of the cooking chamber. This seems like a design flaw that could be easily corrected. Either that, or Yoder decided through testing that it didn't make much difference if the firebox heat was allowed into the cooking chamber via these gaps.

My guess is the gaps do make a difference. I've seen videos of well-used Yoders that plainly show how the gaps allow scorching firebox heat directly into the cooking chamber (see photos). Any food left near the corners of the firebox-end would mostly likely get burnt even with the heat management plate installed. I think I'm going to try using tin foil to see if it makes that much of a difference.

Firebox View - gap opens directly into the cooking chamber:

Cooking Chamber View - scorching through the gap:

Cooking Grate View - scorching on the cooking grate:

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Large Big Green Egg 2014
September 28th, 2016, 8:27 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I stuffed some heavy duty foil into the openings for now. I'm not sure how this affects fire management (might reduce flow a bit) but my side to side temps are usually within about 20 degrees, and that's pretty good.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 29th, 2017, 3:54 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Fixing broken photo links:

Large gap on the side of the heat management plate:

Corresponding scorch mark inside cooker:

Corresponding scorch marks on grate:

Large Big Green Egg 2014

Return to Stick Burners