Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
July 29th, 2016, 12:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

What are you guys looking for in a lump coal that you purchase for your smokers?

July 29th, 2016, 4:18 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

You want to look for a good quality lump charcoal with consistent size chunks, no rocks and very little chips and dust. There are decent brands like Western. I use mostly just to build a coal base and then run sticks for the rest of the cook. There are other products that are better like Primo and Royal Oak. Great if all you are using is lump or mostly lump with some sticks. There are many that are worse. The large bags of Lazzari available at Cash and Carry is not one of the best. In my experience it runs dirty and a 3rd of the bag is chips and dust with large pieces of partially carbonized wood.

Keep in mind that lump is an all natural product and quality will very, even within the same manufacturer. Look for hard wood lump, try different brands and see what works best for you. On your Wichita you can definitely run a combination of lump and small hard wood/fruit wood logs (sticks). You can use your favorite charcoal briquettes too, but you will find that lump burns hotter, longer and cleaner with less ash.

Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm if you really want to geek out on lump reviews.

Hope this helps

Durango 24
October 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

After doing several brisket, butt, rib cooks I've come to really like Royal Oak. Kingsford leaves lots of ash and if you add a few pieces to the coal bed mid cook the smoke is horrible and smells terrible. I'll pay an extra $3 per bag to have a clean hard wood coal bed to heat up my pit and supplement the oak, hickory, or apple splits I use. The finished meat will be less smoky and not bitter. Remember you get what you pay for. Good luck.

October 5th, 2016, 7:03 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Great advice!

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners