Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
June 17th, 2016, 7:52 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Question regarding how to use this charcoal basket.... It fits snug in the Cheyenne. The instructions on all things BBQ says to put lit at the end of the basket. But in the picture you can see the only place is to put it on top of the basket. Just looking for direction. Also my intention is to use this basket after I wrap my meat so I plan to put it in with a hot cooker, any suggestions there?

Thanks, Aaron

Attachments
image.jpeg
June 17th, 2016, 1:03 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Not quire sure what you are asking.

If you are going to put the basket in a hot cooker, then the coals/wood and fire grate will need to be removed from the firebox. You can fill the charcoal box with charcoal leaving a small area open on the end, where you can drop hot coals in to start the new charcoal burning in the basket.

Yoder_Herb
June 17th, 2016, 1:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

You've answered my question, I had the impression the hot coals would go on the outside of the basket, but what you said made sense. I had read somewhere on the forum someone uses it after they wrap the meat... I think that's a great idea just trying to think out a game plan on the best way to facilitate the conversion.

Thank you for the reply, looking forward to trying this thing out!

June 21st, 2016, 5:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just wanted to follow up with an update, just incase anyone else is interested in a Charcoal Basket. I cooked a set of spare ribs 5-6 hour cook. I used normal methods for the first 2.5 hours, lump and split oak/apple. Once 2.5 hours rolled around, I filled the basket up leaving a little room on the damper side. I sat it on the ground just in front of the side door on the fire box (next time Ill use a cinderblock to set it on just to help raise it a little) and used fire tongs to grab some larger pieces of hot coals and had one stick still half life and placed it in the opening. Aside of adjusting the damper a few times it required next to no maintaince. No extra wood was needed for the rest of the cook... It went for 3 hours when i pulled the meat off, and could have gone for anouther hour or hour and a half if I had kept it going. Again, using lump in the basket and not kingsford. It burnt through the "S" pattern perfectly.

Great job to Yoder on the product.

Attachments
IMG_0744.JPG
... Ribs :D
IMG_0742.JPG
1.5Hours with the basket
IMG_0740.JPG
Just put into place

Return to Stick Burners