Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
May 13th, 2016, 10:04 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a loaded Wichita with the heat distribution plate. I have been putting two small water pans (5 x 8) on top of the heat distribution plate instead of the rack, hoping the heat of the plate would help evaporate more water and stabilize temperature, but I cannot tell that I am getting any good from my idea. I did not use larger pans because they would block the air holes in the HDP. I was wondering how others set up their pans and what sizes they use. In particular, does anyone put a water pan in the galley beneath the heat distribution plate where the air flow is strongest and hottest? If so, what size did you use, and did it restrict air flow?

My goal is not so much to keep the air wet all the time as it is to slow down the temperature surges when I add wood. Right now I am having to do too much jockeying around to maintain a stable 225.

Thanks, Jimmy

May 13th, 2016, 1:00 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Water pans are not needed, but are a personal choice, but, if you use them, keep them out of the heat and air flow.

Cooking with wood is a game of average temperatures, i.e., as the wood burns down the temperature drops, and adding wood makes the temperature rise, and so on. These up and down fluctuations are normal and to be expected.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners