Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
May 3rd, 2016, 5:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey all - I've read where folks can maintain a long burn time in a side box smoker using a charcoal basket (often following something called "the minion method"). Folks at another BBQ forum however tell me "no way this works". Is anyone doing this? ...or perhaps the better question is, what IS a charcoal basket used for in a side box smoker? Thanks for any and all info (newby here).

May 3rd, 2016, 6:03 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, it works fine, but, depending on the temperature that you are wanting to cook at, the length of time may not be what you are wanting.

Here are the Yoder charcoal boxes: http://www.atbbq.com/catalog/product/view/id/2210/

Yoder_Herb
May 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder-Herb; what other stick burners are telling me is that the so-called 'minion method' is for WSM or ODS smokers, not side box smokers. They claim there is no way to maintain a minimum temperature of 200F (or so) using this method and that cooking with splits of wood will be the only way to do this. Does this sound about right to you? That said, I think I'd still be interested in a charcoal basket to provide other options for using my Wichita.

May 4th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

They are obviously not Yoder owners. Yoder makes the charcoal baskets as options for Yoder stick burners, as I previously posted.

Yoder_Herb
September 3rd, 2017, 1:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I used mine for the first time yesterday with Weber briquettes also six healthy sized pecan chunks mixed throughout. Maintained temps at 235-260 ( grate temps )with the vent 1/3 open for a solid 6 hrs. It took close to an hour to heat up with the door wide open once the basket was started. I had to add coals for the complete cook of a total of 10hrs, brisket point along with whole chicken, dozen thighs, 24 poppers, brats and hot links. Worth the $ for me learning this new loaded Wichita. Weber briquettes are bigger, burn hotter than KBB.

November 10th, 2017, 12:09 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Sorry for the very late reply, wow.

I run the basket on top of the grill grate. I also start the coals at the door side and when I add coals it’s just poured on top of what’s burning. It just kept burning but I had a ton of ash on the left side so I guess the door side was letting enough air in. I’ve only used it twice and the last time was ribs so it wasn’t a long cook.

November 10th, 2017, 12:25 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

SteveSmokes wrote:Sorry for the very late reply, wow.

I run the basket on top of the grill grate. I also start the coals at the door side and when I add coals it’s just poured on top of what’s burning. It just kept burning but I had a ton of ash on the left side so I guess the door side was letting enough air in. I’ve only used it twice and the last time was ribs so it wasn’t a long cook.

The coals should be started from the cooker side, not the door side. This will allow a more efficient and longer burn. If the coals are ignited on the door side, the draft will pull the fire through the coals, loosing efficiency and burn time.

Yoder_Herb
November 10th, 2017, 11:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It works just fine starting at the door for me, how high are you filling it? I pour it level with the top.

November 10th, 2017, 11:23 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

SteveSmokes wrote:It works just fine starting at the door for me, how high are you filling it? I pour it level with the top.

Yes, it will work fine starting from the door end, but the coal will burn much faster.

Yoder_Herb
November 11th, 2017, 2:39 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So what is the best way to add coals when you’re going over a 5-1/2 hr cook?

I can hold and maintain temps by adding coals to left side and keep burning away where I would think adding coals to the damper side closes off air flow without using the ash clean out tool.

I guess I’m lazy... I never clean ash out until the next day.

What is the amount of cook time gained by the efficient method?

I’m pretty happy how the product works for my money spent.

Sorry, all I got was a receipt when I bought it ( no instructions) and I’m pretty happy with it.

And I left a very positive review on my Loaded Wichita for the simple fact it works well with the basket.

November 28th, 2017, 9:53 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *
December 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Those baskets definitely help/work and the ones from yoder cost 149.00 while they are much cheaper on ebay. I don't mind paying I just don't like being screwed

December 19th, 2017, 10:08 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

The Cheyenne basket works, but only for a couple of hours. I've tested it with lump and briquettes and can only get 2 hours at 225 - 235 range. Yoder added handles which you can see in this pic, which may have reduced the amount of fuel that you can fit in the basket. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1osriSU ... sp=sharing

December 24th, 2017, 3:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

:D It works just fine for me and helps contain the mess. I don't use it as a overnight cooking tool. All that lump or whatever would be a ton of ash it seems. I just add my wood sticks and it burns nice and clean and maintains my temps nicely. Will be doing 2 pork butts on Xmas day. My issue was maintaining a descent fire without the HM plate in. Now I put the plate back in and it just helps me maintain a better fire. Cannot Load a Pic of it in action. Load pic seems to not be working right now. Thanks for all your help with this learning experience. I now love this Bad Boy and the cook is just awesome!! :D

April 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Going to break in my charcoal basket tomorrow on the Kingman and see what it can do. I just watched a video by Chef Tom and he added lit coal to the damper side.... I guess I will try both ways and see which works best

Marbque Midwest Backyardoasis
May 21st, 2019, 6:09 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Going to break in my charcoal container tomorrow on the Kingman and see what it can do. I just saw a video by Chef Tom and he added lit coal to the damper side.

May 21st, 2019, 10:22 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, the video needs to be redone. If you put the lit charcoal on the damper side, the fire will be drawn through the basket of charcoal and burn more quickly. Putting the lit end next to the barrel makes the fire burn back toward the damper.

Test it yourself and see.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners