Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Stick Burners.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Backyard** - Cheyenne, Wichita, Loaded Wichita, Kingman, Durango 20", Durango 24", Stockton
**Trailer Mounted** - Santa Fe, Chisholm, Frontiersman
**Competition** - Cimarron, Kingman, Frontiersman
**Custom Trailers, Combinations and Competition Cookers**
April 26th, 2016, 5:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all...I'm new to this forum and I am interested in purchasing a new stick burner. I am rather traditional in my approach to stuff like this, so I have no interest in an "automated" smoker (i.e. my friends have programmable pellet smokers). I'd be very appreciative if those of you with experience can guide me in my purchase. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, info and suggestions. BTW, I'm considering the Wichita.

One BIG concern I have is that I read an account online of a guy who purchased a new Yoder, had it shipped to his home in Canada, only to find issues with the firebox door and the lid (didn't close properly, leaving a gap on one side). His account suggested the manufacturer would not address the issue, only saying "the gap meets industry variances", or something like that.
Not sure if this is true or not, but have any of you had any issues with the 'fit and finish' of your Yoder smokers? Or perhaps more importantly, have you had issues when you have needed help fro Yoder, and if so, did you get help? Needless to say, purchasing a new smoker of this caliber is a big expense, particularly one that is made sight unseen! So any guidance would be much appreciated. THANKS!

April 26th, 2016, 5:36 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I can't speak to the Wichita but I have a ys640 pellet cooker and love it. The fit and finish is very good! It's hand made, so keep that in mind. The customer service is amazing. I had cover problems and Yoder made it right very quickly.

I'd suggest you search this forum for "customer service" --- you'll find many posts with great stories about the service Yoder provides.

You won't be dissappointed in your smoker and the after sale support, plus this forum, makes it a no brainer!!!!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
April 28th, 2016, 1:48 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

As an owner of a Loaded Wichita Smoker fit and finish for a hand crafted smoker is great, the more you use you smoker the more it will seal itself, You wont be disappointed!!!! :D

April 30th, 2016, 6:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have to agree with the previous posts. I am also a brand new owner of a Loaded Wichita. Mine was delivered less than a week ago. The thing is a tank. I did have a couple of small issues and will say that the customer service is top notch! If you have any issues, they are very quick to help. Yoder Smokers is a wonderful company to work with and they make a great product!

May 3rd, 2016, 4:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I love my Wichita!!!

Yoder Loaded Wichita, pile of wood, matches.
May 3rd, 2016, 5:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks to you all, I appreciate the feedback. Expensive buggers aren't they! LOL. Just wanted to make sure if there were issues, I'd be helped. Placed the order and looking forward to it's arrival.

May 4th, 2016, 6:13 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Great to hear! You won't be disappointed with it! Welcome to the group!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
May 16th, 2016, 5:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all. I am getting ready to purchase a loaded Wichita. What is the best way to season this thing up before the first cook? I have heard some wipe the entire inside down with a cooking oil then bring it up to temp for 2-5 hours. Any thoughts from you guys would be great!

May 16th, 2016, 5:43 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Rozeez wrote:Hello all. I am getting ready to purchase a loaded Wichita. What is the best way to season this thing up before the first cook? I have heard some wipe the entire inside down with a cooking oil then bring it up to temp for 2-5 hours. Any thoughts from you guys would be great!

Here is the manual for wood pits: download/Manuals/Wood%20Manual/General%20Backyard%20Manual_v2_10.27.15.pdf Take a look at page 10 for the initial burn off.

Once the initial burn off is done, I would suggest wiping all surfaces with a clean cloth to remove all the residue left from the burn off. Then use a high temperature oil, like canola or peanut, to wipe down the entire inside of the cooker, and it's contents. I use a spray can of canola oil to make this easy. Then do the same burn as you did for the initial burn off. You should be good to go after this.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Stick Burners